Friday 16 March 2012

Literature Review - 1

Spending three months on a summer research project, which is also about the measurement of human cognitive state, I've collected some famous, important and basic papers in this area. 

In order to lay a more concrete foundation, I decide to reread some very important papers in this week, and for those which are also relevant but I didn't have enough time to read in details before, I would spend more time on them this time.

The basic theories behind this research project is Baddeley's Working Memory Model and the Cognitive Load Theory (CLT). First of all, I reread Alan Baddeley's Working Memory (1992), which discussed the central executive and the two subsidiary systems -- phonological loop for auditory information and the visuospatial sketch pad for the visual information in the working memory. I also searched the later paper of Baddeley published about ten years after the previous one. It introduced another component in the working memory called episodic buffer, which holds the temporary multimodal code.

Then, I also reviewed another paper talking about the cognitive load measurement (Fred Paas, et al., 2003). This paper explained the definition of cognitive load theory and three main measurements. If I am going to design my own experiment, I think the task performance and subjective rating are the top choices.

Reference
Baddeley, A., 1992, Working Memory, Science, 1992 255: 556-559
Baddeley, A., 2000, The episodic buffer: a new component of working memory, Trends in Cognitive Sciences, Vol. 4., No. 11
Paas, F., Tuovinen, J., Tabbers, H. & Van Gerven, P., 2003, Cognitive Load Measurement as a Means to Advance Cognitive Load Theory, Educational Psychologist, 38(1), 63-71

No comments:

Post a Comment