Friday 23 March 2012

Literature Review - 3

Today I read through parts of an online tutorial  named Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Human Factors Awareness Course, which covers some branches of Human-Computer Interaction. Specifically, I read Human Factors Model and Cognition sections in details. If I can get access to the research dataset to analyse the cognitive states of the team working, I will also go through the last section -- Team Performance.

In the sub-section introducing working memory, it used the Wicken's Model, which stresses a different aspect than Baddeley's Model. It focused on the human information processing, starting from outside stimuli to the perception and response mechanism. In this model, working memory plays a critical role in the selection of decision and response. I think this model can be used to explain some performance in the actual experiments.


Then, I also read a paper "Using Pen Input Features as Indices of Cognitive Load" from our research group, which is very close to my topic. It helped me to get a brief idea of how to collect pen input and use the Malahanobis distance (MDIST), a weighted Euclidean distance, to measure the degeneration of shapes, which could be an indicator of cognitive overload.

The supervisor reminded me to think about my experiment design within these two weeks, so I will find some papers on the experiment collecting pen input.

Reference
http://www.hf.faa.gov/Webtraining/Cognition/CogFinal008.htm

Ruiz, N., Taib, R., Shi, Y., Choi, E. & Fang, C., 2007, Using Pen Input Features as Indices of Cognitive Load, 9th international conference on Multimodal interfaces, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment